Infection controls and universal precautions protect clients and staff alike. Everyone benefits from rigorous infection control — you, your dentist, and the dental team. The cornerstone in a good and safe dental practice is the element of trust. You should feel free to discuss this topic with Dr. Mike or Dr. Darcie and receive a straightforward answer.
Dr. Mike, Dr. Darcie and our entire team at Yankton Family Dentistry follow procedures recommended by several federal agencies: the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Centers for Disease Control (CDC). These measures include:
- Disinfectant hand sanitizer
- Gloves, face masks, and safety glasses
- Chemical disinfection of countertops and other hard surfaces
- Sterilization of all equipment before every use
- Disposable (one time use) materials
- Annual training for entire dental team to stay to up to date on latest infection control procedures
We sterilize all reusable equipment, including dental hand pieces between each patient visit. We use an autoclave, a device that kills bacteria and viruses by steam, heat and pressure. Our autoclave is tested weekly by an outside agency to make sure it maintains its utmost effectiveness.
The best defense against disease is information. The more you know, the better equipped you are to make wise decisions about your health care. The more you know about our daily procedures and policies, the more comfortable you will feel.